Hapco specializes in providing high-strength plastic materials to orthotics and prosthetics manufacturers. We offer a range of quality thermoset polyurethanes that help our customers deliver superior results. Our team of certified and skilled professionals is dedicated to producing durable and high-performance materials that our prosthetic manufacturing partners rely on.
We’ve collaborated with a wide variety of custom orthotics manufacturers who can create specialized products or components using our thermoset polyurethanes.
What are Prosthetics?
Prosthetics are artificial limbs given to patients who may have lost a body part due to an illness or injury or if it was already missing from birth. So many manufacturers create polyurethane prosthetics with our materials and equipment to improve your appearance or restore function. These are also ideal after reconstructive surgeries.
The most common types of prosthetics:
- Arm prostheses (fitted above or below your elbow)
- Leg prostheses (fitted above or below your knee)
- Hand, foot, and finger prostheses
- Artificial eyeballs
- Ear, nose, and eye socket replacements
These are developed to give you a better function, especially for those who lost their limbs and are not used to having a specific body part. It is critical to select the best materials to meet the specific requirements of your application.
What are Orthotics?
Orthotics involves the utilization of devices or equipment to provide support, correction, or enhancement to the musculoskeletal system, specifically targeting the feet and lower limbs. This therapeutic approach takes on many forms, including shoe inserts, ankle braces, knee braces, or back supports, aiming to alleviate discomfort, enhance mobility, and optimize athletic performance.
The key objectives of orthotics are:
- Correcting foot deformities
- Improving foot and ankle function
- Ensuring excellent ankle support
- Decreasing the likelihood of further injuries
These objectives highlight the wide-ranging advantages of orthotics in addressing a variety of musculoskeletal issues, promoting improved comfort, functionality, and overall well-being.
Thermoset Polyurethanes for Your Prosthetics & Orthotics
Liquid molding is a process that uses thermoset polyurethanes to create custom-fitted prostheses and orthotic products. The materials are durable and easy to work with, and they can be pigmented to match the patient’s skin tone. This results in comfortable, functional, and natural-looking prosthetics that improve the patient’s confidence and acceptance.
Other benefits of thermoset polyurethanes are as follows:
- Durability: Polyurethanes are known for their excellent durability and resistance to wear and tear. This is particularly important for artificial limbs, which need to withstand daily use and various physical activities.
- Shock absorption: Low durometer polyurethanes have good shock-absorbing properties, which can help reduce the impact of forces on artificial limbs. This feature is particularly beneficial for active individuals or athletes who engage in high-impact activities.
- Skin-friendly: Polyurethanes can be formulated to be hypoallergenic and skin-friendly, reducing the risk of skin irritation or allergic reactions in individuals using artificial limbs.
- Resistance to moisture and chemicals: Polyurethanes have good resistance to moisture, chemicals, and oils. This property helps protect the artificial limb from degradation and extends its lifespan.
With our in-house capabilities, high-tech equipment, and tools, we are more than capable of creating and developing the correct polyurethane materials for prostheses and orthotic manufacturing. Hapco’s materials lab is staffed with a team of experienced and knowledgeable engineers who are experts in the field of polyurethane materials.
Choose Hapco to Provide You with High-Performance Polyurethanes for Your Custom Prosthetics & Orthotics
Orthotics and prosthetics manufacturers trust and rely on us to provide them with thermoset polyurethanes. Fortunately, we have the expertise and years of experience to handle small or large-scale orders!So if you have concerns or any questions, don’t hesitate to contact us. You can also request a quote, or initiate a technical support request.